Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Thursday, August 12, 2010

School and Such

I know that it has been a few days since my last post.  (Almost a week!  Gasp!)  But lately I've been using most of my spare time to get ready for the new school year.  Yep, just as traditional teachers are busy working to get their rooms ready for their students, this homeschool mom has been preparing her "classroom" too!

Thankfully our new curriculum has a pretty thorough list of materials and supplies that we will need this year.  My laminating machine has been working overtime preserving charts, cards, and games for Ty to utilize throughout the year.

I've also been working on a daily schedule for us.  Ty's probably not gonna like it, but he'll have to start waking up and going to bed a little earlier than he's used to each day (although it's nothing compared to what it would be if he were going to traditional school.)  Since Lucy's been taking long morning naps, I'm hoping to take advantage of this quiet time and have Ty complete most of his schoolwork while she's asleep.  (Yeah, right!  In a perfect world it might work out so smoothly!)  Then, when LuLu's up and about, I can tend to her while Ty works independently on his seatwork.  Another longshot, as I'm fairly certain this will be Ty's least favorite part of school.  He's not one to want to sit still and do worksheets.  As a matter of fact, he's not one to want to sit still and do anything - church, eat, haircuts, you name it!  But he's just gonna have to learn to deal with it.  'Cause there's always the alternative - 7 hours of sittin' still at "real" school.

Now comes the task of deciding where, exactly, to set up school this year.  Last year we were kind of here, there, and yonder, but this year I want a specific place for us have school.  I'd like to find a spot with a good bit of wall space to hang up some posters and charts and things, you know, to give us that "school" atmosphere.  And then there's the storage issue.  I need a place to keep all that stuff!

This problem has sent me into "purge and delete" mode.  To make room for the things that we have to have, I've been throwing away anything that isn't nailed down.

Okay.  Not really.

But I have been tossing a bunch of paperwork and a lot of junk!  I'm also considering paring down on some of the clutter around here.  You know, cutting back on some of the tchotchkes and what-nots.  After all, less is more, right?

I'll have to let you know how that philosophy works out for me.

Anyway back to the business of school.

As part of my trashing party I've gotten rid of some books and placed Ty's new textbooks here.


And remember I told you that I was looking for a little desk for Ty?  Y'all are gonna think I'm crazy, but I've had this desk under my nose the whole time!


From my childhood.  It's not that I hadn't thought about using this desk before.  It's just that I was thinking about getting Ty a "school" desk to sit in.  But, alas, that just wouldn't be practical for our setup.  Besides, this desk has some of the storage that I'm looking for, and I can pull down that roll top and instantly hide all the clutter!

So we'll be having school here every morning.


This corner of our living room has the wall space I wanted, and there's room to squeeze in another small cabinet or shelving unit to corral some more of our supplies.

In other news:  I've been working on some furniture facelifts.

See that chair up there?  This chair used to sit in my Mom's dress shop.  It has been in storage for years.  When I brought it home it was broken, dirty, and worst of all, it was painted peach.  Yuk!

Now look at it!


Mid-century modern, sleek, and cool.  Fits in perfectly with my new "Less is More" mantra.

(Boy, I sure do wish that I had the other 3 chairs and table that went with that chair!  But those seem to have, ahem, disappeared.)

I plan on putting this chair in Lucy's new room (keep your fingers crossed we get it finished).  I know that I told you I was going for a country cottage look up there, but I like the idea of mixing a little modern in with it.  Plus I think it will look great with a shabby, ruffly pillow tossed on it.  Sounds like another sewing job for Kathie Lee :)  In the meantime, I'll let Ty use it for his school work.

No comments:

Post a Comment