Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Helloooooooo Kitty!

Ty’s pal Cassie had a birthday last week, and I got to make this cute cake for her. Ain’t it adorable?

IMG_8536 (800x533)

I remember Hello Kitty being popular when I was a kid. Anybody remember that store “Sanrio Surprises” that used to be in our mall? Loved that store!

Cassie chose a strawberry cake for her birthday. I iced the cake with my homemade buttercream rather than covering it with fondant. (I still think buttercream tastes waaaay better than fondant. Everything’s better with butter, right?)

IMG_8534

The flowers and writing are made out of fondant, and I used a combination of fondant and gum paste to make Hello Kitty. The gum paste dries a little harder than the fondant so it really helped Miss Kitty to stand up nice and tall on the cake.

IMG_8526 (800x533)

I also made a cake for Cassie’s brother, Luke, a couple of weeks ago. Luke had an indoor “campout” party. Ty got to go, and he had such a great time. This was Ty’s first sleep over, and he did fine. Mom and Dad sure did miss their little monkey, though. (Aren’t we pitiful?) Luke’s not a big fan of cake and icing, so he wanted a cookie cake with a campfire in the center.

I tried out a new technique to make the fire. Poured sugar! I’ve seen people do this on TV before, but I’ve never tried it myself. So I researched the process and gave it a whirl. The result? It turned out perfect. Beautiful! It looked just like glass. Only one problem. I forgot to take a picture of the finished cake.Sad smile The Tool Man did snap a couple of shots with his phone, but the picture quality wasn’t blog worthy. So, alas, all I have to show you is the few pictures I got of the sugar right after I poured it.

IMG_8453 (800x533)

After the sugar cooled and hardened, I smashed it with a hammer. Great therapy for relieving a little stress!

IMG_8457 (800x533)

This technique was so much fun. And so easy! I’ll definitely be trying this again. I have to make a mallard drake cake in a couple of weeks, so I’m thinking about pouring a pond of sugar for the duck to swim in. Can’t wait to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment