Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Monday, March 19, 2012

Spring Things

I don’t know about you, but I couldn’t have been happier with our winter this year.  Or maybe I should say our lack of winter.  I mean, did we even have a frost this year?

Maybe one or two.  Maybe.

As a girl who does not like the cold, bleak winter months, I sure have enjoyed the early arrival of spring.  It seems like the trees and shrubs put on leaves overnight.  Everything is looking so green.  I love it!!

The weather was so sunny and warm this Sunday (almost hot even) that I was inspired to take some pics of the new plant life around our yard.

What self-respecting southerner would be caught dead without at least one azalea in their yard?  Even though they are not all open yet, our azaleas are loaded with blooms.

IMG_4003 (2) (800x533)

IMG_4005 (2) (501x800)

The crepe myrtles, another southern favorite, are just beginning to put on tiny little bright green leaves.

IMG_3998 (2) (800x533)

In the shady areas, I’ve got some white hydrangeas budding out. I just love the paper white blooms these plants will produce later in the season.

IMG_3994 (2) (800x533)

Now, I have to admit that I don’t remember the name of this plant, but I still think it’s pretty.  So tropical!

IMG_4009 (2) (800x533)

Of course I’d be lying if I let you believe that all my plants were lush and green and gorgeous.  Here’s the sad truth about my camelia bushes…

IMG_4004 (2) (533x800)

Ain’t it awful?  And to make matters worse, there is a matching pair.  I fully intend to dig these suckers up and replace them with something else soon.

Let’s move on to the back yard, shall we?

This year, the Tool Man and I made the decision not to do a garden.  I know, I know.  Sad face.

But after seriously considering our schedule, we knew that we just didn’t have time to devote to gardening.

IMG_4011 (2) (800x533)

Here’s all that’s left of our garden, a rosemary bush, some irises, and a salvaged steeple.

IMG_4012 (2) (800x533)

Nevertheless…

The Tool Man and I really, really wanted to grow some tomatoes.

And we are absolutely the best jalapeno farmers, ever!  So we decided that we would do a little container gardening on the back porch.

IMG_3987 (2) (800x533)

This weekend we took a trip to Lowe’s and purchased a couple of tomato and jalapeno plants.  I can’t wait until harvest time!  I double dog dare a squirrel to try to steal my tomatoes this year.  I’ll pop a cap in him faster than you can say “scat” with your mouth open!  Grrrrrrr.

IMG_3977 (2) (580x800)

Looking off of our back porch, we have the best view.  You can’t tell it at all from this picture, but our land slopes down a couple of times right into the creek.  And look at that!  I even had the good fortune of capturing a picture of a big buck passing through our yard. Ha ha.

IMG_3982 (2) (533x800)

Ty had some fun playing in his pop-up blind after church this afternoon.

IMG_3983 (2) (533x800)

He finally convinced his daddy to get in the blind with him.  If you look closely, you can see the Tool Man’s foot sticking up in the blind.

IMG_3984 (2) (800x533)

Two other people who are excited about the early arrival of spring this year are Ty and Lucy.  I couldn’t be happier for them.  Nothing gives me more pleasure than to kick these two monkeys outside. Ha ha!

I don’t understand their reasoning, but the monkeys are firm believers that shoes and clothes cannot be worn out of doors.

IMG_4014 (2) (800x532)

Here’s a little craft I whipped up for my back door this spring. 

IMG_3989 (2) (533x800)

Bunnies and chicks are cute and all, but I really wanted to make something that reflected the true meaning of Easter.  When I saw this burlap cross hanger on Pinterest, I knew I had to make one.  Best of all, I already had all the materials I needed to make it, so it was absolutely free.  As my grandmother used to say, you can’t beat that with a stick!

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment