Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Sour Attitude

About three weeks ago I had a crazy idea.

IMG_1119 (2) (800x533)

A really crazy idea.

I decided I needed something else to do in my “spare” time.

Like eat bread.

Fresh bread.

Homemade bread.

Sourdough bread!

For some time now, I’ve been curious about sourdough “starter.”  I’d seen it called for in recipes, but I had no idea what it was or where it came from or even what it looked like!

IMG_1130 (2) (800x348)

Hmm… time for a little research.  Thanks to the wonder that is the internet, I educated myself on the ins and outs of making sourdough starter. Then, I plunged headlong into making a starter of my very own.  (See, I told you it was a crazy idea.)

I decided I wanted to do it the most basic way possible.

Flour + Water.

That was it.

I fed my magical mixture of goo more flour and water twice a day for the next three weeks, and finally…success!  I had grown my own culture of yeast.

Let the baking begin!

I chose to begin by baking a country-style sourdough round.

IMG_1116 - Copy (800x530)

With a dark, crispy crust on the outside…

IMG_1125 (2) (800x531)

…and a moist, soft, chewy texture on the inside.

IMG_1107 (2) (800x533)

What about the flavor?

Well, thanks to the slow, overnight fermentation, the taste was fabulously acidic.  Delightfully tangy, just like sourdough should be.

IMG_1137 (2) (800x508)

IMG_1106 - Copy (800x374)

Yum!  I can’t wait to try more recipes with my beloved starter.  I’m thinking I’ll make rolls next.

IMG_1122 (2) (800x346)

Lindsey

P.S.  If any of my friends would like some starter, y’all know where to find me.  I’ve got plenty to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment