Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Monday, February 24, 2014

Capitol Affairs, Part II

As promised I’m back today with the second half of our tour of Louisiana’s Capitol building.  If you missed the first half, you can check it out here.

After our tour of Governor Huey Long’s office, Representative Broadwater took our little group to the House and Senate committee meeting rooms.  He explained to us how committee members met here to discuss various issues and hear comments and questions from an audience. 

IMG_0724 - Copy (800x534)

I have to admit, this was not the most interesting stop on our tour, but it was in this room that Ty said something I will never forget.  Rep. Broadwater had just told us that before audience members were allowed to speak they had to raise one of 3 colored cards – red, green, or white.  Basically, the cards indicate whether the comment would be for, against, or neutral to the issue at hand.  It was at this point that I noticed Ty’s hand shoot up.  He had something to say.  Nervously I waited to hear his comment.

“I thought the white card would mean that the people had something to say about Jesus.”

I never would have guessed that’d be what he’d say!  It took a second or two for me to process it.  What on earth was he talking about?

But as I thought about Ty’s words, I began to realize how innocent and genuine his question had been.  It was only logical to him that lawmakers would consider Christ first when making important decisions.

Wow!  I was completely amazed.  Ty was definitely on to something.  How much better would our government be if our leaders were more concerned about pleasing Christ than gaining popularity, having power, or making money.

I’m thankful that my little boy raised his hand this day.  Thankful for the words that came out of his mouth.  And even more thankful for the heart from which these words came.  I pray that his heart may always be so inclined.

Back to the tour…

The governor’s parking spot.  If his car is here, he’s in the building.  Unfortunately the spot was empty at this time.

IMG_0726 - Copy (800x528)

Time for a change in altitude.  From the basement we made our way to the observation deck of the capital, some thirty floors up.  FYI:  Louisiana has the tallest capitol building of all fifty states.  Leave it to Huey!

I was a nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof up here.  Me no like heights.  I did however enjoy the view of the Mighty Mississippi.  I don’t know what it is exactly, but something about the river has always intrigued me.  The kids enjoyed watching the barges trudge up and down the river.  Another fun fact:  Baton Rouge is the furthest inland port servicing international cargo ships in the United States.

IMG_0735 - Copy (800x529)

IMG_0743 - Copy (525x800)

Nothing like defacing currency to commemorate our trip.  Who knew the kids would have such fun pressing pennies.

IMG_0753 - Copy (533x800)

IMG_0758 - Copy (533x800)

Luckily my camera battery held out for one last picture as we were leaving the capitol.  The front steps of the building have the names of all fifty states and the year in which they entered the union.  Ty and Lucy found Louisiana’s step and struck a pose.

IMG_0765 - Copy (800x533)

What a fun day!  I’m pretty sure I learned more than the kids did on this field trip.  Ha ha.  That’s ok.  They enjoyed the day too.  And I know that being able to see and touch and walk through history was more meaningful to them than just reading words off a page.

I can’t wait for our next adventure!

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment