Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Saturday, June 11, 2011

What I’m Up To

As if I don’t have a billion other things to occupy my time this summer, I’ve decided to take on one more project…

A Dining Room redo!

I’ve been contemplating this for some time now, and I finally decided to go ahead with it.

Crazy, I know, especially considering that I decided to start this project right in the middle of Bible school week.  Ludicrous!

Here are some before pictures.

IMG_0633 (2) (800x533)

IMG_0637 (2) (800x533)

Dark.  Too dark!  I do like the paint color, but because this is a north facing room full of dark stained furniture and floors, the overall effect says, “Dungeon.”  Not really the look I was going for.

IMG_0643 (533x800)

Even the Butler’s Pantry is going to get a facelift.  Not that I have a butler.  (Unless, of course, you count Ty.)

Time to lighten things up a bit.

First, a coat of primer.

IMG_0669 (2) (800x533)

Let there be light!  Already a significant improvement.

I’ve been tackling this project all by little, lonesome self this week, so it’s been slow going.  Any work that’s done has to be completed by the time little Lulu wakes up in the morning, because, in case you didn’t know, paint and two-year-olds don’t mix.  I did manage to get three walls covered with the first coat of paint yesterday, but I want to wait until I’m done with all four walls before I show you.

After the paint is done, I plan on making some drapes, hanging some pictures and artwork, and moving the chandelier.  Right now the chandelier is hanging somewhere over the vicinity of the head of the table rather than over the middle of the table.  When we built the house, we took great care to make sure that the chandelier was hung directly in the center of the room, but we forgot, of course, that the china cabinet would push the table slightly out from the exact middle of the room.  Now I’ve got to figure out how to get the light moved without creating an ugly hole in the ceiling.  Not that a hole in the ceiling would be totally out of place in the room.  There are already two 10” holes on either side of the chandelier where speakers are supposed to go.  I really don’t care if I ever get the speakers.  I just want the holes covered up!

So, when I’ve made a little more progress I’ll share some pictures with you.  Hopefully, I can get all the painting finished this weekend.  It all depends on if the monkeys take naps or not….

Speaking of chandeliers……I’ve got a joke for y’all.

An old country church was having its monthly business meeting.  During the meeting one of the ladies suggested that the church look into buying some chandeliers for their sanctuary.

An old man in the congregation stood up.

“I’m against it,” he said.  “I’m against it for three reasons.

First, can’t none of us spell it.

Second, can’t none of us play it.

And third…we need some lights for the church.”

1 comment:

  1. Hmm? I know a little bit about kids and paint..LoL... Can't wait to see finished project!

    ReplyDelete