Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pumpkin Eater

Last Sunday evening, I thought that I was going to have a week with no cakes to bake, but that all changed Monday morning.  I got two phone calls within minutes of one another from ladies needing birthday cakes for their children.

Typically, I’m a little nervous about having to decorate multiple cakes on the same day, but as I get more experience under my belt, I’m gaining a little confidence.  So this week I was looking forward to the challenge of turning out two adorable cakes.

The first cake I’m sharing with y’all was for 11-year-old Taylor.  She had a hayride for her party, so her mom requested a fall themed cake.

IMG_2243 (2) (800x532)

I’ve mentioned before that I’m not a fan of the shaped cake pans (you know, like Elmo, or teddy bears, or Barbie.)  They take up too much real estate in my kitchen.  I’d rather use a standard round or rectangular pan and convert it into something that will work by carving and piecing together.  So, for this pumpkin cake, I baked a 14” round cake and just carved out a few “hookie-do’s” to make it more pumpkin-ish.  (You laugh, but you know exactly what I’m talking about, don’t you?)

IMG_2248 (2) (800x533)

My trusty assistant, the Tool Man, took pity on me this weekend and helped me make a few details for the cakes.  He sculpted the pumpkin’s stem all by himself.  Thanks, Tool Man!

IMG_2251 (2) (800x533)

I’m gonna hold off on showing you my other cake for now, just in case I can’t think of anything else to blog about this week.  I probably won’t be able to wait long though.  The cake turned out soooo cute, and I can’t wait to share it with y’all.

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment