Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas 2011–Part I

Hello, everyone.  Hope y’all had a wonderful Christmas.  I know we did!  I'm beat, though.  Besides all of the hustle and bustle and goings and comings, we have been battling bugs around here.  Little Lucy felt absolutely miserable the whole weekend.  She had an “awful” ear infection according to the doc and ran “beaver” as high as 103!  Poor baby! When she just wants to lie around with her head on your shoulder, you know she’s feeling bad. Thankfully, she was on the upswing by Monday, but it looks like she’s shared her germs with me and Ty. Yuck!

We took so many photos over the holiday.  There’s just no way I could share everything with y’all at one sitting, so I’ve decided to split it up and just take things little by little.

My monkeys love to dress up.  Ty wore this elf costume last year when he assisted Santa at the restaurant.  He pulled it back out again this year and wore it around the house for three straight days!  When he finally took it off, Lucy seized the opportunity and donned it herself.

IMG_2787 (2) (534x800)

The Tool Man said she looked like a Christmas version of Friar Tuck.

IMG_2789 (2) (533x800)

Poor baby.  You can tell from her eyes that she just wasn’t feeling well.

IMG_2801 (2) (534x800)

I spent the entire day before Christmas baking.  I made a total of 8 cakes and pies.  Some were old favorites, and some were new finds from Pinterest.  Some were for our family, and some were for others.  For the most part the sweets turned out great, but I admit there were a couple of flops, all of which were new recipes.  When will I learn to stick to the oldies-but-goodies?

IMG_2824 (2) (533x800)

A little cooking lesson for you:  I wanted to show y’all what a pie crust should look like when it’s rolled out.  You see all those light spots in the crust?  That’s butter, my friends.  Wonderful, glorious butter.  As the pie crust bakes, the water in the butter evaporates, and the resulting steam creates pockets of air that make for a flaky texture.  Just thought I’d throw in a little science for y’all this morning.

IMG_2778 (2) (800x532)

The hits:  Sweet Potato Pie, Carrot Cake, Hershey Bar Cake, Coconut Cream Pie

The Misses:  Cinnamon Roll Cake and Tres Leches Cake.  They weren’t awful, just not worth trying again.  Tres Leches cake just sort of reminded me of wet, soggy cake, and as far as the Cinnamon Roll Cake goes, my old-faithful Honey Bun Cake recipe knocks it out of the park in both taste and ease!  I’ll have to share that with y’all another day.

IMG_2828 (2) (800x533)

Christmas Eve.

Time for bed.

You know what that means.

Time to put out some cookies for Santa!

IMG_2830 (2) (800x533)

This picture makes me laugh.  Ty was in his skivvies here, so he quickly wrapped up in a blanket to avoid any embarrassing pictures.  He’s learned these pics go directly to the blog.

IMG_2837 (2) (533x800)

To be continued…

Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure the desserts were delicious.... LoL on Ty wrapping up>

    ReplyDelete