Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Crawdad Cake

I’ve got an incredibly cute crawfish cake to share with y’all tonight. 

What?  Crawfish, cute?

Well, they can be if they are wearing wedding veils and bow ties.

IMG_3951 (2) (800x538)

This is probably the most realistic cake that I’ve decorated to date, except, of course, for the fact that the crawfish are dressed for a wedding.

IMG_3924 (2)

Ta Da! What do y’all think?

IMG_3948 (533x800)

Although I did this cake completely on my own, I do have to give a nod to the Tool Man.  You see, he’s the one who decided that I needed to buy an airbrush to use in my cake decorating.  I would have been content to keep plugging along without one, but he wouldn’t take no for an answer.

Well, I have to admit, he was right, ‘cause take a look at what it can do!

IMG_3865 (2) (611x800)

Before – bleh.  After – BAM!

One thing about the airbrush, though, is that the color gets everywhere.  Everywhere!  You can’t see it, but it’s there.  So the Tool Man built me a force field of newspaper to help contain the overspray.

IMG_3911 (2) (800x533)

Originally, I had planned to use fondant to cover this cake, but I finally decided that buttercream would be the best way to go.  Good ol’ buttercream.  I love the texture that I was able to get by using the it.  There’s no way I could have gotten as much definition had I used the fondant.

I did use fondant and gum paste to sculpt all the details around and about the cake.  Then I painted them with the airbrush to make them look a little more realistic.

IMG_3934 (2) (800x533)

IMG_3936 (2) (800x533)

IMG_3962 (2) (800x533)

The crawfish are gum paste too.  I made them a few days in advance so they would have plenty of time to set up.  The only thing on the cake that is not edible is the “bride’s” veil.

IMG_3970 (2) (800x729)

IMG_3955 (2) (712x800)

IMG_3973 (2) (606x800)

IMG_3924 (2) (594x800)

This cake was for a Honey-Do Shower/Crawfish boil.  It was carved from an 8 and 10 inch tiered cake, and it serves approximately 55.

Lindsey

Linking to:

Sundae Scoop @ I Heart Naptime

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey, I have to say you have outdone yourself (and The Tool Man, too) on this cake. I've never seen a cake with such detail and design to be so realistic looking. You need to contact FoodNetwork or The Cake Boss and tell them you'd like to audition for their show! You'd be a HIT!

    ReplyDelete