Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Diaper Bag Cake

My sweet friend Ellen is expecting a baby girl soon, and I was asked to make a cake for her baby shower.  Well, Ellen just so happens to be one of my biggest cake fans, so I knew that I wanted to make an extra special cake for her.  While browsing the internet for ideas, I ran across several diaper bag cakes.  I wasn’t sure if I could pull one off, but the Tool Man encouraged me to give it a try.  For sanity’s sake, I opted to make a bag that was lying on its side rather than standing straight up.  I think that was the right decision.  The Tool Man and I were able to whip this puppy out one evening with little or no headache!  We were both pleased with(and a tiny bit proud of) our work.

IMG_3748 (2) (800x410)

IMG_3742 (2) (800x555)

I actually had someone ask me if this was a real pacifier.  I think that was a pretty good compliment!  It’s really made out of gum paste.

IMG_3753 (2) (800x530)

The bottle was the only part of this cake that was not completely edible.  I We (it was a collaborative effort) made the body of the bottle out of aluminum foil and covered it with fondant. 

IMG_3772 (2) (800x533)

On a last minute whim I decided to score the bag to give it a quilted look.  I really like how that turned out. It seemed to make the cake look a lot more finished.

IMG_3757 (2) (800x496)

The keys were also a joint effort. 

IMG_3755 (2) (800x533)

See the pink piping going all the way around the edges of the bag?  Well, that’s the handiwork of the Tool Man!  He also cut out all the flowers and dots.  He’s the Bomb.com!

IMG_3773 (2) (800x533)

IMG_3767 (2) (800x519)

IMG_3756 (2) (800x533)

Ellen’s cake was a two-layer, 9X13 cake, filled and iced with buttercream, and covered with fondant.  All decorations were made with fondant and/or gum paste.

Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. I AM your biggest fan and it was AWESOME. I will never forget it. Thanks for being such a sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete