Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Friday, July 19, 2013

Summer Schooling

Hello!  I’m stopping in quickly today to share a few pics of what we’ve been up to this summer.  I’ve been super busy the past two weeks putting together all the details for Lucy’s big mermaid birthday bash, but I didn’t want to fall behind on blogging again.

Just because it’s 100 degrees out, doesn’t mean we can’t squeeze in a little fun learning this summer.  However, this is easier done with Lucy than with Ty.  She begs every day to do “school work.”  I’m happy to oblige.  She usually does 4 to 6 worksheets a day concentrating on letter sounds, numbers, cutting, pasting, tracing, and coloring.  I also try to include some hands-on work with things like beads, play dough, puzzles, or Bend-a-Roos.

Here is a simple activity I made for her using pipe cleaners.  I just taped a number onto the end of several pipe cleaners, and she strung the correct number of beads onto them.  Simple, I know, but it kept her entertained.

.IMG_8607 - Copy (800x533)

Lucy’s favorite “subject” has got to be cutting.  It’s the first thing she wants to work on everyday.  I made these practice sheets using the letters of her name, then had her cut along the lines through each star.  It stickers seemed to be a good way to help her stay on the lines.

IMG_8624 - Copy (533x800)

IMG_8628 - Copy (532x800)

Another of Lucy’s favorite activities is using her Do A Dot paints.  I love these.  Lucy is very careful with them, so she doesn’t make a mess.  We use them to work on everything from phonics, to counting, to art.  On this day I taped a large piece of freezer paper to the floor and labeled boxes with numbers.  My intention was for her to paint the correct number of dots in each box.  Lucy’s intentions were different.  Take a look at the box labeled “1.”  When I questioned her about it, she explained that she drew one caterpillar.  For box “3” she painted three dots, and then told me that she thought it would be better to have four instead.  Oh, well.  I pretty much just left her alone after that.

IMG_8620 - Copy (800x533)

Ty is not quite as eager to do school as his sister is.  I guess that’s one of the side effects of being a boy.  One activity he worked on earlier this summer was this owl lapbook.  I really am fond of lapbooks.  They are great ways to record facts about any subject, and are good tools to use for review.  I also had Lucy do an owl lapbook of her own.  At the end of the week all three of us made owls out of empty toilet paper tubes.

IMG_8609 - Copy (535x800)

IMG_8625 - Copy (800x533)

I’ve also had Ty working a few arithmetic papers each week.  Those darned multiplication facts just won’t stick! Guess we’ll just keep plugging away at them.  They’re bound to click one of these days.

My plan is to start our new school year the first week of August.  All of our books finally came in, and I have been busy working on schedules and plans for the the first 12 weeks or so.  Of course all this planning might be akin to spitting in the wind since baby sis is due to arrive in under 12 weeks.  I’m sure that will throw a monkey wrench in things.  Guess we’ll have to cross that bridge when it gets here, though.

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment