Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Nickie-isms

Today would have been my grandmother Nick Nick's 94th birthday.  So in memory of her I thought I would share some the more unique expression she always used to say.  The Tool Man calls them "Nickie-isms," and I catch myself saying them alot.  Some are quite funny, and I have no idea what they are supposed to mean or where they came from.


Name-calling  These are some of the names I remember her calling me or my brother when we were kids:
1.  Snake in the grass
2.  Whatchamadoodle or So-n-So (when she couldn't remember someone's name)
3.  Ol' Hound dog
4.  Monkey's Uncle (Ty's favorite name to call his Daddy)
5.  Big Ol' Witch  (Usually used in the sentence, "Get up, big ol' witch."
6.  Bo Jo (used a lot on Jude and also on Ty)
7.  Lucy Lee  (My personal favorite....She always called me that.  Always.)

Mild Oaths
1.  Confound it.
2.  Bless Patty.
3.  Scorp it.
4.  I'll be John Brown.

Similies
1.  Hot as a six-shooter
2.  High as a cat's back
3.  Crazy as a bessie bug
4.  Queer as a $3 bill

Miscellaneous
1.  Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute.
2.  I wouldn't have young-uns on a Christmas Tree.
3.  You'd worry the horns off a billy goat.
4.  Pray tell me.
5.  Hee-O-T (When something was hot)
6.  Refrigerators were "Iceboxes"
7.  Earrings were "Earbobs"
8.  Your backside was a "Rulie-gooser"???? (weird, I know)
9.  Goody goody gout.  Your shirt tail's out.

Aren't they great?  Did they make you laugh?  Maybe you can use some of these sometime : )

1 comment:

  1. Aw.. great memories... we miss our grands; don't we? Hugs!

    ReplyDelete