Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Friday, November 18, 2011

A Unique Cake

I just realized that I never officially shared my latest cake creation with y’all.  This cake might be the most unique cake I’ve done so far…

It’s a tuba!

IMG_2454 (800x533)

The birthday boy plays a tuba in his high school’s marching band, and he requested a cake shaped like his instrument of choice.  Not being very familiar with tubas, I had to do a little research to see exactly what they looked like.  Let me tell you, there are a lot of tubes on a tuba!  (Maybe that’s where it got its name. Ha ha.)  I opted to streamline this cake version of a tuba and included only a few pipes and tubes, but I think you still get the idea.

IMG_2456 (800x533)

To give the tuba a 3-dimensional effect, I carved the larger, wider portions of the horn out of cake and covered those parts with fondant.  For the smaller tubes, I rolled fondant “snakes” and laid them into place.  When I had the shape of the tuba like I wanted it, I painted the whole thing with edible gold dust.

IMG_2463 (800x533)

Then I added a few symbols to emphasize the musical theme.

IMG_2464 (800x533)

IMG_2461 (800x532)

So what’s cooking next week?  Well, I have a chocolate pecan pie and an “LSU” cake to make for a customer.  Also, as the C.E.D.M. (Chief Executive Dressing Maker) for my family, I’ll be turning out a big ol’ pot of everyone’s favorite Thanksgiving dish.  And just in case there are any yankees reading this post, “dressing” is the correct term for “stuffing.” Ha ha.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with your treble clef. Those are hard to draw...especially on a cake. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! You did an awesome job & it looks like it tastes good too...
    :)

    ReplyDelete