Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Friday, March 11, 2011

Hot Pockets

I mentioned earlier that I had been working on a few projects, so I decided to share one of them with you today.

It’s a double-potholder. Not an original idea of mine, but a fun project none the less. It also happens to be a great way to use up some of those scraps of fabric I have laying around, and believe you me, I have plenty of them. Maybe I should make a quilt. Hmm…..

Anyway, here’s the potholder.

IMG_8792 (533x800)

Pretty cute, huh?

I don’t know if you are interested in all the details, but I took a few pictures throughout the process to share with you.

Here’s what I started with. For the base of the potholder, I used a hand towel. Nothing special. Just one I found on clearance at Wal-Mart. And see my rotary cutter and mat? I got them for Christmas, and I just love them. They make cutting fabrics a breeze. But watch out! That thing is sharp! I’m fairly sure I could amputate my finger with little or no effort. So far so good, though.

You can’t see them both in this picture, but I used two different patterns, a floral and a stripe, just to spice things up a bit.

IMG_8774 (800x533)

I layered a square of batting and fabric on each end of the towel, then quilted them all together. I took the easy way out and just quilted in straight lines.

IMG_8779 (800x533)

Here’s what it looked like with both sides done.

IMG_8780 (533x800)

Next, I prepared my pockets to sew on the back side. I added interfacing to the backs of the pockets for a little extra stability. Then I added some trim to the ends of the pockets.

IMG_8784 (800x533)

After attaching the pockets to the towel, I trimmed the whole thing with black bias tape.

IMG_8786 (800x532)

Ta Da! I can’t wait to cook! Lucky for me I had the foresight (and the patience) to wash and dry all my fabrics before getting started. Now I can pop this baby into the washer without it shrinking up and getting all wonky. (Yes, wonky.)

IMG_8792 (533x800)

I wish I knew someone who was getting married. Wouldn’t this be a cute gift to make for the bride? Had I not been trying to complete this project during my little monkey’s nap, I would have taken the time to embroider an initial or something on it. Maybe next time. I still have half a towel and a lot more fabric scraps left.

7 comments:

  1. Great idea! I featured this on my blog with a direct link back at http://whittskitsfabricscrafts.blogspot.com/2013/03/mining-monday-10-terrific-potholder.html
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great easy project (routed here by pintrest) Will def be making and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very neat gotta try this thank you for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this! Can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love the full pattern if you have one. These are very nice and would make great gifts, even for Christmas and birthdays. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you cut down your towel to make this. What are its measurements?

    ReplyDelete