Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Monday, April 26, 2010

Big Creek Farms

Are you sitting down?  I've got some exciting news!

We're expecting!   CHICKS!!!  Wahoo!!!  A dozen of them.

They're hatching Monday and will be here on Wednesday.  I've been bugging (and begging) the Tool Man about getting some chickens for several months.  Finally, after I showed him this coop he gave in.  Thanks, Heather.

Well, my coop doesn't exactly look like the French chateau that Heather built, but it fits in nicely here at Big Creek Farms.  (Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?)  And most importantly, it fits into our budget...that is it cost us next to nothing.  It is teeny tiny, 4 ft. by 4 ft., and it is built mostly with scrap lumber leftover from various projects.

Three cheers for the Tool Man!
Hip Hip Hooray!
Hip Hip Hooray!
Hip Hip Hooray!

I don't call him the Tool Man for nothin'.  Watch your fingers!


Notice the box of Scooby Snacks in the coop.  I guess every tool man needs his nourishment.


Don't forget the hardware cloth!  I don't want any chicken snakes stealing my eggs.


A hinged lid for gathering the eggs.  Good, Tool Man.  Very good!

We're not quite finished with the coop yet. I'll show you more when we're done and we move it out into the yard.  No, I'm not keeping this lovely under my carport.

As for the chickens, we're getting Easter Eggers.  They are supposedly friendly and docile - the kind of chickens that will follow you around in the yard and eat treats out of your hands. 



EE's lay colored eggs - blue, green, brown...I'm looking forward to that.  My chicken-farming friend, Allison, says fresh eggs are the best for baking.  Can't wait to try that out.  If you want to know more about chickens, I've found BackyardChickens.com to be very helpful.  It's also the place where I snatched these pictures.  I'll post my own pictures as soon as the babies arrive!


No comments:

Post a Comment