Everyone who hears these words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ladybug Party

IMG_1057 (2) (533x800)

For Lucy’s second birthday party I decided to go with a Ladybug theme.  She loves ladybug things…toys, clothes, books…there’s an instant attraction.

It may have been the easy thing to do, but I kept the party small and sweet and simple and stress free!  For supper we had build-your-own sandwiches with assorted chips and dips.  It was a light and easy meal that everyone seemed to enjoy.  Often times we serve such heavy, elaborate meals at parties and everyone leaves feeling stuffed and miserable.  But this was the perfect meal on hot summer afternoon.

IMG_1040 (2) (800x533)

For the centerpiece I recycled a couple of things from previous parties.  The burlap-covered can was from the Angry Birds party, and the flowers were from Lucy’s first birthday, an I Love Lucy party.

IMG_1041 (2) (533x800)

Some ladybug cookies.  Ty loved these.  He probably ate at least five today!  Poor little Lucy tried to get her hands on one of these cookies all day long.  But, being the mean mother that I am, I wouldn’t let her have one of the decorated ones until party time.

IMG_1045 (2) (533x800)

The dining table.

(Still absolutely loving my dining room redo, by the way.)

I kept the decorations simple in here, using just a few squares of polka dot tissue paper for a table runner.  The birthday cake served double duty as dessert and a centerpiece.

IMG_1047 (2) (800x533)

More about the cake.

This turned out to be one of my favorite cakes yet!  It’s a homemade vanilla cake with buttercream icing.  The tiny daisies, number two, and ladybugs I crafted out of fondant.

IMG_1050 (2) (800x533)

I was so pleased with Lucy’s reaction to her cake.  She really loved this ladybug.  Me too!  Isn’t he adorable?  Except for the fact that he’s only got 4 legs – I just noticed that.  Oops!  Sorry, Mr. Ladybug.

IMG_1057 (2) (533x800)

Now, let’s get down to business, shall we?

Presents!!!

She had a pile of them.  Mostly from me.  I took the whole birthday thing as an excuse to purchase some supplies for Tot School.  She got lacing beads and boards, stacking cubes, wooden blocks, books, do-a-dot paint, educational games, and several color and shape puzzles.

IMG_1063 (2) (800x533)

Ty was more than willing to help Lucy with all of her gifts.

IMG_1070 (2) (800x533)

Here’s Lucy showing off some of her new duds from Papa and Sandy.

IMG_1077 (2) (531x800)

What a difference a year makes!  Lucy really knows what opening presents is all about now.  She was throwing paper left and right.

IMG_1083 (2) (800x534)

Lucy got several cute outfits for her birthday this year, including a couple of darling dresses made by Grammie.

Lucy immediately noticed the pockets, or “pot-ticks” as she call them, on this little chicken frock.

IMG_1086 (2) (800x532)

Here she is modeling the smocked dress Grammie made.  Lucy likes trying on new clothes.  I think she changed outfits a total of four times tonight!

IMG_1125 (2) (533x800)

It was hard for Lucy to wait for everyone to sing Happy Birthday to her.  She was dying to eat a ladybug.

IMG_1111 (2) (800x534)

IMG_1115 (2) (800x533)

She got more than a little help from big brother blowing out her candles.

IMG_1117 (2) (800x533)

Mmm, mmm, good.

IMG_1121 (2) (800x533)

Happy Birthday, Little Lady!

Linking to:

Sundae Scoop @ I Heart Naptime

Just Something I Whipped Up @ the Girl Creative

6 comments:

  1. Popping over from The Girl Creative! Love your ladybug birthday cake! You did an amazing job. Funny thing, I just posted a painted Ladybug photo frame at the party... great minds must think alike! Kidding, but it's nice to find you in blogland. Stop by sometime to tiarasandbowties.blogspot.com
    Ps. Your kids are so adorable! Happy Birthday Wee One.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cake. I love the little lady bug on top - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving all of these themed parties that I am running across! Super cute ladybug party!

    I am planning a Minnie Mouse party for my little one, so I know how much effort it can be to plan a party, but it looks like yours turned out great! I am blogging about ours at our party blog, minniemousebirthday.blogspot.com

    Feel free to stop by our main blog and enter our first give-away that ends tonight- Cute Crocheted Hair Accessories for little girls! http://bearrabbitbear.wordpress.com/2011/07/16/our-first-give-away/

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it!!! Everything she sees on the floor or on me are ladybugs; lol....

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Love the ladybug. Following from I Heart Naptime link party. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog {if you haven‘t already!}. Hope to see you there.

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute party. I featured this on my blog this week.
    :) Rachel
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/08/adorable-ladybug-crafts.html

    ReplyDelete